Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Superbowl Sunday

There are days when I miss home, and there are days when I don’t. There are times when the reasons I miss home are apparent - perogie and cabbage roll withdrawal - and times when the reasons are unclear. On the other hand, there are times when it is crystal clear why I don’t miss home such as the day when it was -55 in Regina and +30 here in Managua. Or, when my family and friends have to pump themselves up to step outside in order to start their vehicles all while I’m contemplating if now is a good time to cool off in the pool of to catch a few more rays. So, you see, these are the strenuous decisions I have to make on a daily basis. Moving on….

In order to grow and expand Micredito has been on the lookout lately for new funds which has increased my workload substantially. My boss, Veronica, or as I like to call her Superwoman, has been educating me on the ins and outs of Microfinance management. To be honest, I sometimes wonder how she handles all that is on her plate. Not only is she commanding the Micredito ship -- along with Co-captain Junior and first mate Octavio --, she’s also taking English classes before and after work, putting up with my relentless questioning and on top of all this, she’s a mother and wife. Wow! ‘When does she sleep?’ is the question I most often ask myself. I’m extremely grateful to be learning the ropes under someone as intelligent, dedicated and as sweet as Veronica. There is no way to put a value on what I’ve been able to learn and accomplish both personally and professionally working with this Management group.

Something very bizarre happened on Sunday. As you all know this past Sunday was the all-important Superbowl XLII, but what you don’t all know is why it was bizarre. Let me explain. After watching numerous Superbowls from the comfort of my own or a friend’s home (comfort being defined as in a home with a heater while it’s a million below zero outside) it was truly unusual to find myself watching the game outside, on a patio and wearing shorts. My body simply had no idea how to react. After years of conditioning by means of indoor nacho eating my body began to reject anything it was used to doing inside that I was now doing outside. It was completely bizarre. That said, the game was fabulous, one of the best in recent memory – truly a “David and Goliath” type situation with David conquering the heavily favoured goliath. Furthermore, I’ll have to give my fellow intern and Giants superfan, Scott props for the big win on Sunday. First my Riders and now your G-men, what’s next???????

1 comment:

Scott said...

thanks for the shout; it truly was a great game!