Sunday, January 6, 2008

Prospero Ano!!!!

Whoa, it has been a while since my last post. My excuse this time around is my Christmas holidays included a break from both work and blog writing. So, I was fortunate enough to spend the holidays with my family in Canada, and what a wonderful time it was. However, I’ve been back in Nicaragua for a couple of days now, and I’ve got to say that the heat of Managua is a welcome change from the deep freeze of Regina. While in Regina, the majority of my time was spent eating, talking, reading and trying my best to stay warm through a combination of warm clothing and heavy blankets. That said, even the cold of Regina wasn’t strong enough to even slightly dampen the holiday cheer that accompanies friends and family during that time of year. Some highlights include:
1)My Father’s cooking which included perogies and my grandma’s amazing cabbage roll (without a doubt the best in the world).
2)My mom’s consistent pampering of me the entire time I was home. I’m seriously considering leaving home for the sole purpose of coming home for holidays based on the treatment I received the previous 12 days.
3)Walking in the door to my cat and wondering how it’s possible that he’s gained MORE weight. I’m calling Guiness, we must have a record on our hands.
4)The relief of landing in Regina after a stressful day of flying which included making both of my connecting flights by the slimmest of margins (my luggage wasn’t as fortunate, arriving the next evening). Yes, that was me sprinting to my gate in the Houston airport, belt in one hand, the other keeping my pants from falling. You’ve got to love tight security and even tighter connecting times.
5) Seeing my wonderful family and outstanding friends.

I never thought that 12 days could fly by so quickly until I woke up one morning at it was Wednesday the 3rd of January. Woke up around 4am to make my 6:30 flight out of Regina and did my best to mentally prepare myself for the long, 16 hour day of airports and airplanes that lied ahead. It’s such a bizarre sensation when you wake up one morning in a dry, arctic like climate only to go to bed that night in a climate where the temperature rarely, if ever drops below 20 degrees. Time and space seem out of whack and my body usually needs a few days to adjust.

Well, it’s back to the grind tomorrow. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store for the New Year. I’m hopeful that my plate will be as full for the next three months as it was for the previous 4. As things as shaping up it looks like my plate will overflowing with work, taking Spanish classes and teaching English ones. In addition, I’ve made it my resolution to see more of Nicaragua, especially the North as I’ve heard so many wonderful things.

All the best in the year to come!

P.S. I can hear Mariachis outside my house. I’m totally going to check out the party!

No comments: